Agile beyond software has become a hot topic in recent years. Scrum Alliance and Scrum WithStyle promote the use of Scrum, Lean, Kanban and Agile principles outside of the software development domain.
Scrum Beyond Software
- Parenting: Agile for Kids: Scrum for 3 Year Olds – Go Beyond the Reward Chart by Zhi Lee – SWS Alumni
- Sales: Lessons learned: Using Scrum in non-technical teams
- Flower Auctions: Managing Business Change with Scrum at FloraHolland
- Networking Hardware: Agile Embedded Software Development, what’s wrong with it?
- Automotive: LeSS Huge at BMW
- Music: Scrum By Heart: The Chiara String Quartet Scrum Experience
- Education: Hope School Agile: Lessons about teamwork and how we encounter opportunities every day
- Scouts: Scrum for Scouts
- Church: Scrum in Church – Co-authored by Jeff Sutherland, his wife and Chirstine Hegarty
- Various: Scrum Is Not Just for Software
Agile Beyond Software
Whilst not specifically Scrum, these examples illustrate application of Agile principles to non-software development domains.
- Insurance: Extending Scrum Adoption with Visual Management – by SWS coaching partner Ben Hogan
- Legal: Lean in the Law Firm – by a former CSM course participant in Auckland
- Government etc.: Scrum everywhere with Joe Justice – Adopting Scrum outside of technology teams
- Weddings: Using Scrum to Plan Your Wedding
- Automotive: WikiSpeed (Video) – using Scrum to build highly configurable cars
- Agile Hardware Design (video) – the patterns WikiSpeed used to enable Agile Engineering of modular cars.
- Electronics: For Maximum Awesome Joe Justice Keynote 2014 – Agile, Lean, and Scrum being used outside of software – particularly in hardware development
- Marketing – offering Agile Marketing certification
- Family: TED: Bruce Feiler: Agile programming — for your family (video)
- Various: Why Agile Isn’t Just for Technical Teams – guidance on adapting Scrum to work outside of software from Scrum inventor Jeff Sutherland and Scrum Inc. COO