Certified Scrum Master Training (CSM)
Welcome to the most widely recognised Agile training programme. This has been offered by Scrum WithStyle for over 11 years!
There are many imitators but this is the original Scrum certification course with accreditation from the most influential professional development body that was founded in 2001 – Scrum Alliance. With the largest network of professional Scrum practitioners in the world, it is the most established certification organisation in the Agile community.
Become a Certified ScrumMaster if you want to understand what good Scrum is and how you can play your part in the Scrum game effectively. Also to prepare you to take your first steps into the challenging but very rewarding role of ScrumMaster.
What is CSM Certification?
About The CSM Certification Course
Our Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) course is an intensive deep dive into the world’s most popular Agile method: Scrum. It is an immersive learning experience emphasising hands-on participation through a mix of interactive seminars, group discussions, team activities, games and role-plays.
Although CSM is likely to be your first Scrum certification, we use highly immersive adult learning techniques such as visual modelling, simulations, role-plays and ‘Training from the Back of the Room’ activities to enable self-directed learning and enhanced retention.
This course is organised and run using Scrum as a management framework. This allows for feedback and flexibility as well as experiencing Scrum in action throughout the course.
What Others Are Saying About This Course?
Rowan Bunning is an excellent and experienced trainer, with years of real life experience in the development and Scrum processes. This was very apparent in the level of training that our CSM course group received at Scrum WithStyle.
Learning within different non work groups was a real eye opener as it gave me an insight into how other companies develop and work within the Scrum Agile framework. It was very different to how the company I work for has implemented the Agile framework.
Rowan was an expert at getting everyone in our training course engaged and collaborating in the learning process. It was a real facilitation success, and I could see everyone gained a better understanding of the course material.
I have attended trainings for, and cleared SSYB, ITIL, PMP, PRINCE2 but I have to say that this particular training by Rowan Bunning is BY FAR, the BEST experience for me, mainly because of how Rowan keeps you engaged throughout. Rowan really explained concepts again and again and in detail.
I’m amazed at the effort you have put in (in terms of handouts, charts etc. too) for this training and how energetic you are.
First of all, let me thank you for the wonderful engagement and education for the last two days. You certainly lived up to your reputation in the market as a Scrum/Agile Coach. I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to using it in our workplace and drive Agile from a strategic perspective. Thanks a lot for your course materials and the class slides.
Learning Objectives and Course Content
Reviewing the learning objectives for the course is an excellent and in-depth way to find out what participants will be learning out during the course. Scrum Alliance define the learning objectives that learners are to work to in all Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) offerings. For CSM course, this includes both – learning Scrum Foundations and ScrumMaster specific values, principles and practical framework implementation details.
- Lean, Agile, and Scrum
- Scrum Theory
- Scrum Roles
- Scrum Events and Artifact Transparency
- Sprint and Sprint Increment
- Sprint Planning
- Daily Scrum
- Sprint Review
- Sprint Retrospective
- Product Backlog
- Sprint Backlog
- Definition of “Done”
- Scrum Master Core Competencies
- Service to the Development Team
- Scrum Master as Servant-Leader
- Value of Development Practices
- Service to the Product Owner
- Techniques to collaborate with the Product Owner
- Support Product Owner
- Service to the Organisation
- Impediment Removal
- Coaching the Organisation
Scrum WithStyle’s CSM is up-to-date with the latest learning objectives that were published by Scrum Alliance in early 2020, see below:
Why Get Scrum Certification With Us?
- Eleven Years of Refinement. Your trainer – Rowan Bunning – has delivered over 380 Scrum Certification courses and has inspected and adapted this course frequently for over the last 11 years.
- Recommended Again and Again. Many participants choose us based on word-of-mouth recommendation such as those below in the “What others are saying about this course” section.
- Emphasises the Impactful Why? Unlike courses that stop at the process “mechanics” and spoon feed you tactical tips, this course focuses on the principles and deep insights. These allow you to navigate your own situationally appropriate tactics relative your context levering values and principles – something that is necessary for sustainable Agile.
- Smaller and More Interactive Classes. Some courses will have you compete to have your questions answered amongst 40 or more participants! We keep our class sizes small to provide plenty of opportunity for direct trainer interaction as well as hearing from a diverse group of other learners. Our typical class size is 12 with a maximum of 20.
- Stories From 19 Years of Experience. Rowan brings the principles alive with (often dramatic) Agile adoption stories from the trenches in a wide variety of organisations both down under and in Europe since 2001.
- Learn from the region’s first Path to CSP Educator. Rowan is the first trainer in Australasia to be approved to teach Advanced CSM courses. This CSM course prepares you to take the Path all the way to Certified Scrum Professional – ScrumMaster (CSP-SM) – the ultimate accreditation for a ScrumMaster – with a consistent learning programme.
- Rich Mix of Learning Approaches. We use highly immersive adult learning techniques such as problem solving discussions, visual modelling and neuroscience-aligned Training from the Back of the Room activities to enable self-directed learning and enhanced retention.
- Comprehensive Workbook. You will receive a comprehensive course workbook including worksheets on key topics, detailed information on the Scrum Roles not found elsewhere, recommended reading and further resources to assist you post-course, including in your CSM Test preparation.
- Ongoing Support. Have a question (or three) later on? This course gains you access to the Scrum WithStyle Alumni community which has an active discussion forum on Slack where the trainer and many other experienced practitioners respond to your ongoing queries. You will have already received a substantial post-course email packed with resources and customised to the questions raised during the course.
- Detailed Next Steps. Since we teach the next course after CSM – Advanced Certified ScrumMaster (A-CSM) – we offer detailed information on how you can prepare for taking the next major step in your professional development as a ScrumMaster.
Who Should Attend The Course?
Your Certified ScrumMaster Trainer
Trainer, Coach & Org Design Consultant
Rowan Bunning is a pioneer of Scrum in Australia. He became one of Australia’s first Scrum Masters in 2003 when he led an organisation-wide Scrum + eXtreme Programming adoption.
He was hired by the United Kingdom’s leading Scrum consultancy in 2007, working as a Scrum Master to recover a challenged project and take it to a successful launch and subsequent business profitability.
Rowan has been delivering Certified ScrumMaster courses since 2008 in Australia, New Zealand, Asia and the USA making him one of the most experienced Scrum trainers in the Asian region. Many participants on Rowan’s courses are referred by word-of-mouth by our alumni.
Rowan has worked in developer, Scrum Master and Product Owner roles with genuinely high-performing teams in both project and long lived product development environments. He is particularly interested in organisational design for customer-centric agility, learning organisations, scaling – particularly with Large-Scale Scrum (LeSS), innovation, high performing teams and organisational culture.