A virtual training experience requires that we create an environment that resembles the interactivity of an in-person classroom using remote collaboration technologies.
There is plenty that can go wrong with remote collaboration technologies. It is your responsibility to prepare and test your setup prior to the course to minimise the chance of your learning experience being compromised.
Please complete each of the following steps by at leat two business days prior to course commencement.
What to prepare
- A fast Internet connection – please test this as per the instructions below
- Front facing video camera – suitable for video conferencing throughout the course
- A space with minimal background noice and no interruptions
- Familiarisation with The Core Protocols including The Core Commitments, Check In and Check Out protocols
- A suitable headset or microphone-enabled earbuds. If wireless, it is particularly important to test that this connects to your device when you test your audio.
- A second display – this will allow you to keep both Miro and video visible at the same time without switching or compromising the size of each window.
- Miro App – you can either access Miro from a web browser or we recommend downloading the Miro App to you tablet or desktop for ease of use.
- A stylus enabled device – this will allow you to do freehand drawing much easier than with a mouse or trackpad. There are very few activities during the course in which freehand drawing is required.
Test your Internet Speed
You should have a consistent minimum speed of 1.2 Mbps both download and upload with a ping speed of less than 20 ms.
Use an Internet Speed test service to check your speed at a similar time of day to our sessions. If you find that it is below this minimum, please contact us immediately via [email protected] so that we do a test call with you and discuss options.
Just as you would expect to be able to see all others in an in-person classroom at all times, in a virtual classroom you are expected to be visible at all times through always on video. For this we will be using Zoom. Prepare by having the Zoom App installed.
Test your Video and Audio
To test your audio and video in Zoom:
- Open the Zoom App
- Select the menu option Preferences
- Select the Video pane.
- If you do not see a video of yourself, consult the “My Video/Camera Isn’t Working” help page on the Zoom.us website.
- If the video angle is not to your liking, adjust the position of your camera e.g. by raising the height of your device.
- Select the Audio pane
- Select the “Test Speaker” button
- If the sound is not comfortably loud, adjust the Output Volume until it is.
- Select the “Test Mic” button and speak normally.
- If the sound indicator lights are not consistently peaking above halfway and green, adjust the Input Volume until they are.
- Finally, join the Zoom Test meeting and (re)familiarise yourself with Zoom.
Prepare your space
- You will need a space in which you can talk freely with minimal background noise.
- Remind your family / colleagues
- If you do not have a secluded space, talk to everyone in the vicinity of your quiet space about the need to have uninterrupted time during sessions. Let them know the start and end times and that you will be available during a short break at least once every 90 minutes.
Please join the first session’s Zoom call 5-10 minutes before the nominated start time. This gives you an opportunity to troubleshoot any last minute issues and settle in to ensure that you don’t miss anything.
The Core Protocols
Familiarise yourself with the following protocols. We will be using these during the learning sessions.
- The Core Commitments | Link: https://liveingreatness.com/core-protocols/the-core-commitments/
- Check In | Link: https://liveingreatness.com/core-protocols/check-in/
- Check Out | Link: https://liveingreatness.com/core-protocols/check-out/
When you have completed all preparation, please email our co-pilot Christian at [email protected] and let us know that you are fully prepared for your first session.
You’re good to go!
We look forward to seeing you online.